Newer Huawei smartphones regularly receive important security updates. After a certain time, the manufacturer drops the devices from the support list and no longer offers patches. Read here which smartphones from the manufacturer are threatened with extinction in the future and how Huawei will decide about it.
Security updates are particularly important for carefree use of smartphones. In addition to protecting the device, the updates also improve the balance of the smartphone. If the updates are not execute regularly, the chances of data theft, malware or falling victim to hacker attacks, increase.
Usually for three years, Huawei provides new smartphones with important security updates. However, there is no fixed schedule. You can read in the further course of the text which smartphones according to the Huawei list are still being supplied with updates.
Important to know: Huawei's list is subject to continual changes. If a device falls out of the list in an update, this does not necessarily mean that the smartphone will no longer receive any updates. In the past, Huawei P20 (Pro), for example, was no longer included in the list - but the manufacturer still provided the smartphone with irregular updates. Huawei also proceeded similarly with the Mate10.
The manufacturer's update strategy will probably always depend on the respective device and how popular it is among users.
Security updates for smartphones: Huawei distinguishes between two device categories
Owners of a Huawei P30 Pro are provided with important security updates every month.
Owners of older Huawei smartphones will have a problem after three years at the latest - either they do without the important security patches or they look for a new mobile phone that is regularly supplied with updates.
Similar to the competition from Samsung, Huawei divides its smartphones into update categories:
• The latest devices like the Huawei P40, the Mate 20X or the Honor 20 are provided with security updates every month
• Slightly older models such as the Huawei Y6 or the MatePad Pro only receive updates every three months As a service, Huawei provides users with a document that lists the supported smartphones. In the following we have summarized the Huawei smartphones that are still supported.
Important: If your smartphone is listed among the devices with quarterly updates , you have to be prepared for the fact that it will lose update support in the future . If your device is no longer listed and has already been around for a few years, buying a new smartphone is worth considering - if you really want to be on the safe side.
This is provided by our mobile phone leaderboard , which uses immense filter functions to help you find the ideal smartphone.
More information about Galaxus
These Huawei smartphones are officially receiving security updates
1. Huawei smartphones with monthly security updates
• HUAWEI Mate series: HUAWEI Mate 20 X (5G), HUAWEI Mate 30 Pro, , HUAWEI Mate 40 Pro
• HUAWEI P series: HUAWEI P smart 2020, HUAWEI P smart Pro, HUAWEI P smart Z, HUAWEI P smart +, HUAWEI P smart + 2019, HUAWEI P30, HUAWEI P30 lite, HUAWEI P30 Pro, HUAWEI P40, HUAWEI P40, HUAWEI P40 5G, HUAWEI P40 lite E, HUAWEI P40 Pro, HUAWEI P40 Pro +, HUAWEI P smart 2021
• HUAWEI nova series: HUAWEI nova 5T
• HUAWEI Y series: HUAWEI Y5p, HUAWEI Y6p, HUAWEI Y6s
• HONOR series: HONOR 20, HONOR 20 Pro, HONOR 8A, HONOR 8S, HONOR 9X Lite, HONOR 9X Pro
2. Huawei smartphones with quarterly security updates
• HUAWEI Y series: HUAWEI Y6 2019
• Tablets: HUAWEI MediaPad M5 lite 8, HUAWEI MatePad Pro, HUAWEI MatePad, HUAWEI MatePad T (According to Huawei , as of April 16, 2021)
If you have activated the automatic update on your Huawei mobile phone, your system will automatically inform you when a new update is available for your mobile phone. If you prefer to keep full control of the updates, you can of course do this manually via the device settings . However, you also run the risk of missing important security improvements - this is why it is worthwhile to check the manual settings regularly to find out about any updates .